Welcome to the unfolding story of our attempt to remodel/restore the WWII-era home that we purchased in 1989. A minimalist traditional style residence with good "bones" but very little character, my husband and I would like to transform the house into an Arts & Crafts-inspired gem. Having languished in the project for many years, I am hoping this blog will provide the accountability we need to stay focused on our dream. Come join us on the journey!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tile Shopping

Today, after breakfast at a local restaurant (during which I had a delicious, hot-from-the-oven cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting) and a trip to Starbucks for coffee, my family browsed through tile samples at a local hardware store and at Home Depot, looking for chimney renovation ideas.  Said chimney runs through the corner of our dining area and is currently covered in plaster.  That isn't so bad.  Worse, it has one of those "paper plate" style discs stuck to the side where, in years past, something was hooked directly into the flue, most likely a wood stove.  Since my goal is to add Arts and Crafts details to our house, and one such detail is natural materials, I would like to make the chimney look as if it is constructed of Connecticut fieldstone.  We found some reasonable contenders this morning:

Veneerstone Vorago
Garden State Tile Andora Brickbond

I think we are leaning toward the Veneerstone.  Now for measurements and cost estimates.

No comments:

Post a Comment